Friday, August 12, 2011

Mate keeps Gnome2 alive

When I used Linux for the first time, the desktop environment was Gnome2. I liked it as soon as I saw it, and the more I used it the more impressed I became with it's simple default menu, how it can be easy customized and the wealth of applets and themes.

As I advanced in my Linux knowledge, I started trying other desktop environments and window managers, but I kept coming back to Gnome because none of the others allowed me to work half as efficiently.

When I became a command line guru, I began to favor smaller environments that were lighter on resources and more reliant on a terminal. Now I am firmly settled on TWM.

Nevertheless, I was still very sorry to see Gnome2 replaced by Gnome3 and Unity.

Fortunately, Gnome2 has been forked. The new DE is called Mate. The homepage can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't got chance to work on Linux so I comment about Gnome2 but now after reading your post I am thinking to try my hands on Linux as it seems quite interesting. I think it will include lots of things which I can explore.

    ReplyDelete